Monday, June 7, 2010

today was a LONG day!

5 am - time to get up, shower, and go
6 am - hop in the car, get a coffee and drive
7 am - arrive at hospital, and wait in the wrong "family waiting" room.
7:30 am - find my mom in the other waiting room
7:30 - 10:00 - wait, wait wait... read magazines, and books, and try to not talk about baby names with my mom.
10 am - get a bite to eat
10:30 - 2:00 - wait, wait, wait....

the doctor said she would be out around 1:00 to talk with us, and by 2:00 we had the waiting room attendent (not sure what her official title was) call into the OR to see how much longer. they said they needed another 30-45 minutes. my mom and i ran down to the cafe to get some lunch and bring it back up to the waiting room.

2:45 - the doctor finally came in to get us and let us know that the surgery was a success, and that they were able to get out the tumor, and it didn't spread at all. (thank god). she said my dad was still in the OR w/ a breathing tube and it would be a couple more hours before he was in recovery and we could see him.

my mom and i went outside and made some phone calls. after talking to my mom and i decided that i would go home. i wanted to see my dad, but if it was going to be a couple more hours, and we were heading into rush hour traffic and the hospital is an hour away with no traffic. my mom said she would call me when she got home.

i think around 5ish my mom finally got to see my dad. he was fiesty, and wanted to take his tube out. they asked my mom to leave and they got the tube out, and gave him some more pain medication. when my mom went back in again, she said he was doing much better and wanted to watch the red sox. the nurses explained that because of his breathing they wanted to watch him closely in recovery overnight, and tomorrow he would get settled in his room.

it's going to be hard to visit since no children are allowed at the hospital. on wednesday when my sitter comes, i can head up for a couple of hours.

i am just so relieved that today is over and we can move forward with his recover. thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers...

1 comment:

  1. Thank God! Still keeping you close in prayer and positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete