Friday, May 7, 2010

it's the most wonderful time of the year....

i realize not everyone shares my love of baby names, but for me today is when the ssa publishes the 2009 popular baby names list. i always love seeing how my kids names have changed in popularity, and check out what the new trend is. this year since i am pregnant, i am even more thrilled.

Carter
Year of birth Rank
2009 50
2008 65
2007 80
2006 75
2005 77
2004 88
2003 102
2002 108
2001 111
2000 152

Mason
Year of birth Rank
2009 34
2008 35
2007 37
2006 40
2005 42
2004 51
2003 54
2002 53
2001 53
2000 64

Hadley
Year of birth Rank
2009 361
2008 417
2007 469
2006 494
2005 623
2004 692
2003 702
2002 875
2001 857
2000 921

although it hasn't been done yet for the 2009 list, there is usually a section where you can see the popular names by state. i like that feature the best. here in MA carter really isn't that popular, last i checked it wasn't even in the top 100.

the next step will be to get a list together of the names i like for baby #4... and as of now i don't think we are going to find out the gender. it was an amazing experience in the delivery room, and really it doesn't matter to me one bit. i won't be setting up the nursery until after the baby is born anyways.

over the years, these are the names we have liked... notice i said we, not i. if it were up to me alone, carter's name would have been reid, and i always suggest it, but craig is just not a fan.

when naming carter, our final names were carter, cameron, and cole. carter was picked thanks to the tv show ER (dr. carter) and my favorite rapper jay-z (sean carter). if carter was a girl, his name would have been hilarie. we never settled on a middle name.

mason was going to be avery kate if he was a girl. the final 3 boy names we brought with us to the hospital were mason, cole, and brady. i wanted cole, craig wanted brady and we both liked mason.

the night before we were going to have hadley, we were still trying to nail down names. if she was a boy, she would have been graham. for girls we were going back and forth between hadley and norah kate. i just thought hadley sounded better with the boys names, but we had a hard time picking a middle name. at first we wanted elis/zabeth, but disagreed on the spelling. i wanted the s and craig liked the z. i then mentioned isabel, which has always been a name that i have loved. craig agreed and we had our names set and just needed to see if we were going to have a boy or girl. this was the first time we didn't find out the gender ahead of time.

so now we need to figure out names we like for baby #4... in theory i like girly names, but i don't know if i would actual use one. amelia has always been a favorite, but i'm not sold. i think i should stick to surnames. and maybe, just maybe craig will let me use the name reid.... this is our last baby after all.

any name suggestions are welcomed.... really, i need all the help i can get.

6 comments:

  1. What a glorious day it is! :) I'm so excited. You know i love Reid, Graham, pretty much all of your boys names rock! I like Norah Kate, but I have a friend who's daughter is just that. Amelia is pretty, but getting slightly popular. And I ALWAYS thought I would have a flowery girl name if I ever had a girl, and now I'm 100% sold on a boy name for my (maybe) girl! I think Elliott would be adorable (like you suggested!) or Emerson, Harper (so cute, but another H), I like Aniston (which is odd, I know!). I can think of some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. christia, i love that we can talk names together... so fun!!! i'm counting on you to help me!!! maybe i should send this to denise too???

    i love emerson, but does it sound too close to mason??? elliott is really cute, but it was the name of my neighbor's dog.

    i do think i like unisex names for girls. harper is cute, but it ends with -er just like carter. my friend just had a baby this year and named her drew harper.

    at some point i should see what craig likes too... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the names that you both have put out there! I'll throw a few into the mix as this is a big topic at our office these days. (2 preggo friends, one is my bestie! :) )
    GIRL:
    Ainsley
    McKenna
    Parker
    Kendra

    BOY:
    Lake
    Reece
    Tanner

    Brady tops my list because that is my nephews name. He is almost 21, a towering 6'5, blonde and blue eyed. He is not only totally handsome, but so talented, smart and so so so charismatic! Everyone who knows him wants to be around him more! He is one of those people that makes everyone around him feel special! He is amazing, so that name always makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love your kid's names!

    Here's what I like

    Boy:
    Weston
    Parker
    Tanner( I love this name and wish I could use it!...but Tanner Mason doesn't sound right at all!)
    Dawson
    Asher

    Girl:
    Kennedy
    Taylor
    Reagan
    Laine
    Piper
    Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so love to be in your shoes, picking out names for a new baby!

    I'll have to think on it, I am kind of out of the baby-naming loop. One of my favorite girl names just got attached to a chocolate lab baby so I guess it doesn't count anymore.

    I love Graham so much, I had no idea it was one of your top boy choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just saw Christia's blog and the name Cullen popped out at me! I love it for a boy.

    ReplyDelete