Thursday, July 1, 2010

it's a...

BABY!!!!! we stayed strong and didn't find out the gender of baby turk.

i don't think i posted this, but after my n/t scan and blood work, my risk of having a baby with down syndrome was 1 in 280. for my age it should be around 1 in 625, so it was elevated.

when i talked to my doctor about it my appointment last week, she told me that i could get an amnio if i wanted. she didn't want me to be stressed at all during the my pregnancy. craig and i decided that if all went well today with my anatomy scan at maternal fetal medicine that we would decline the amnio, but if for any questions or markers, we would go ahead and get one.

our ultrasound today went well. before they started we were asked if we wanted to know the gender. we watched our baby move and groove all over. i personally think that the profile looks similar to hadley's, so my unofficial guess is girl.




our tech said everything looked great and she would go over everything with the doctor and she would be back to scan me herself.

the doctor came in, and reassured us that everything she saw looked great, and they can usually detect up to 80% of down syndrome cases based on u/s. she looked over the baby again and talked us through every step. while talking to the doctor, i mentioned i had a friend (hi angela!) that has a son w/ DS and it was not detected through her u/s. she then scanned me again, and talked about where all the markers are that they look for... i felt very reassured after today's scan. my chances are now 1 in 560, and i know there is no guarantee, but i am optimistic that everything will be ok. if for any reason i want an amnio in the next week, i can call and get one scheduled.

oh, and as the doctor was leaving she said with a smile "i know the gender of your baby... i just had to look."

1 comment:

  1. You would not believe how many people are so much more anxious about DS now b/c of Benjamin! I suppose *someone* has to be that "one" in the statistic, eh?

    So glad to see your update! I've been totally behind on my blogs. Happy anniversary, and I'm so excited to see if you're having another boy or girl! For some reason, I'm feeling BOY. :)

    ReplyDelete