Friday, July 16, 2010

if you don't have something nice to say...

seriously, after so many pregnancies, i am still shocked by the comments of strangers. is there some rule that you can say whatever you want to a pregnant women?

today while checking out at the grocery store (with hadley and mason) the cashier asked me when i was due. she smiled and seemed nice. i am guessing she was close to 70 years old... when i told her november, she kinda snapped back at me and said, "wow, you're already big!", so i just smiled. really, what was i gonna say to that one? then she said, "oh, and you are carrying really low." so, i smiled again and i said "oh, i don't know..." she then when on and on about how low i was, and if i carried all my kids this low and if i always get so big... good lord, i wanted to tell her to shut up!!! and then she asked if i knew what i was having, and i told her we didn't find out, it was our 4th and final pregnancy. she rolled her eyes at me!!! really??? i mean, come on...

i am usually really nice and like to help when i am at the store. i just sat there, let her bag everything herself, and then waited for her to come put it in my cart. i was not helping the old bitch today!!!

seriously... i know i am not the only one who gets comments, all pregnant women do. i have also received more than my fair share of comments when people find out that this will be baby #4. usually i am out and about doing errands when the boys are at camp, or play dates... so lots of people assume i only have one or two other kids. when i tell them it will be my 4th, they look stunned. strangers also assume that this baby wasn't wanted or planned... so they say things like "surprise!" i usually then say something along the lines of after suffering from infertility and a miscarriage that i am very blessed with being able to have the large family that my husband and i always wanted. that usually shuts them up!!!

friends, family and the people around town that i see are all very supportive. there are many families in town that have 3-5 kids, so it isn't so uncommon. it is the random people at the store that have the most to say.

i think craig will agree with me that this is the #1 most crazy comment that i ever received. when i was pregnant with carter, i was working for boston public school at the summer school program. one of the girls i worked with was the principal's daughter. we got along well, she was a couple years younger than me, and we would hang out after work a lot. when i told her i was pregnant, her first question was "are you keeping it?" and there you go....

by the way... i got on the scale, and my total weight gain for this pregnancy is 6 lbs. here is a picture from today @ 20 weeks.

5 comments:

  1. People. Are. Idiots.

    I think you look great!!

    Around here, esp at my church (for some reason...we're not Mormon!!), people have 5-6 children, and even some families have 7-11. CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! 6 lbs??!!! I think I was close to forty by that point with both boys.

    You know, Angela is right. People are idiots. That's all. Next time some asshat says something asshat-y to you, just say "I'm sorry, I don't answer questions from idiots because you're JUST SO STUPID."

    That'll shut em up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing at Angela's comment about Mormons! LOL!

    And you look fab Shannon! Absolutely fab! And 6 lbs is super fab, I'm jealous! I am definitely double that, probably 15! :/

    BUT people are idiots. Seriously. 4 kids isn't that unusual here, but then again, I *am* Mormon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol @ all the mormon comments...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look GREAT!
    I can't believe people have the nerve to say things like that to you! I would have a whole host of snide little remarks for them by now if I were you. :) I'd go total Jerry Springer just to shock them too. "Oh, I don't know...there are 12 brothers in the family and so far I've only had a baby with 4 of them, so..."

    ReplyDelete