Monday, February 2, 2009

my poor baby

my poor baby girl... she had her first trip to the ER yesterday. like everyone in our family right now, hadley has a cold. her nose is a little stuffy, and a slight cough, but not too bad. sat. night she went to sleep at 10 pm for the night. around 4 am she started to cough, so i picked her up so she was elevated a little, and we both went back to bed with her in my arms. i woke up at 7 am and she felt a little warm to me. i unswaddled her, and let her stretch while i made her bottle. after i fed her, she still felt warm, so i took her temp. and it was 101. i called the doctor's office, and talked to a nurse. b/c of hadley's age she told me to go right to the ER b/c they were going to have to do a lot of tests. it is standard for any baby under 3 months old. so off the the ER we went. they tested her for RSV, the flu, strep throat, they did blood work (which was the absolute worst), they needed a urine sample and a chest x-ray. turns out she has a severe ear infection in her right ear. they gave her a shot of an antibiotic and some tylenol. she was such a trooper!!!

i guess this is the downfall of being the 3rd child. carter has never been to the ER. mason went when he was 5 months old for asthma, and now hadley at 8 weeks. i pray that she doesn't have the same problems with ear infections as mason, but if she does then we know what we are in for.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, poor baby girl! I'm so sorry, that's the worst. At least with ear tubes, you know you can get some relief quickly. I hope she's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Shannon, I'm so sorry!!!!
    IA--taking blood from a baby is HORRID!! It was the worst part of B's surgery.
    Though we go to the hospital all the time for B's appointments, neither of my kids have ever been to the ER. I don't look forward to that first visit. :(
    Hope she's doing better soon!!! HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete