Thursday, November 3, 2011

miss stephanie

it's after midnight and i can't fall asleep... too much on my mind, and i feel like crap.

my thankful post today is dedicated to miss stephanie. who is miss stephanie you ask? well, she is the most amazing, giving, loving, and generous woman. over 5 years ago she started babysitting for me. she is in her 40's, with 3 kids, and due to her terminal cancer diagnosis, was unable to keep her job at the preschool she worked at.

she was my mary poppins... always showed up in her big black suburban, with the back filled with toys, ready to play and do crafts with the kids.

she would be there for me as much or as little as i needed, and in return, when she had treatment, or wasn't feeling well, she could stay home.

she loves my kids. and they love her. we all do.

when i met her, she told me she had colon cancer... it wasn't curable, but treatable. and she has been doing her best to beat cancer, and live her life to the fullest. around the 4th of july she got bad news... her tumors were spreading and they were giving her 6 months to live. it took her over a month to tell me the news. i was devastated, and i cried for days. it just broke my heart.

she continued to babysit for me for another month, and then her health was going downhill. i was scared and nervous when i didn't hear from her, and texted her daughter. my gut was right... she was in the hospital, in the icu. i felt so helpless.

she is home now, and i think this is it. i send her texts every week to let her know i'm thinking of her. and i send pictures of the kids to make her happy. but it has now been another week with no word, and i am worried.

hadley asks for miss stephy all the time. it breaks my heart...

i am just so thankful for the time we had with her... and all the love and support she gave me as a mom, and to my kids.

(here's a pic of her with her daughters)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you and your family have had Miss Stephanie in your lives. She sounds amazing. I'm so sorry that she's so sick. I'll be praying for her family. Hugs - MJ

    ReplyDelete